Information for the 2020 MD State FLL Championship on Sunday February 23, 2020
Congratulations on making it to state championship for the 2019-2020 City Shapers Season. This year the Maryland FIRST Lego League State Championship will take place in the new UMBC Event Center across campus.
There will be some changes to the logistics this year so please read through the entire page. If you have any logistical questions/concerns about the state competition please email our event manager Robert Oehrli with FLL State Championship in the subject line: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information will be sent out to teams by Feb 16th including, pit maps and team schedules.
Please register your team for the championship, there is no fee but registration is required and must be completed by February 12th
Be sure to complete your Team-Info-Sheet before registering (you will be asked to upload the info sheet).
- A FULL MAP FOR JUDGE PARKING & CHECK-IN IS LINKED HERE
- A FULL MAP FOR VOLUNTEERS (NOT JUDGES) PARKING & CHECK-IN IS LINKED HERE
If your team is not advancing, consider volunteering at the event. Coaches who DO NOT have a team competing can be a judge.
3-MINUTE SIGN UP FORM IS LINKED HERE: https://forms.gle/49YAxyie2rSuY5Hv5
Please indicate if you had a team competing this year.
Coaches Call: We will be having a coaches call on Wednesday, February 12th @ 6:30 pm. A link to the virtual meeting will be sent out as we get closer to the meeting. The meeting will be recorded if you are un-able to attend. At the meeting we will discuss what to expect at the State Championships and the logistics for the day. Please come with any questions you may have.
Logistics to Note for this year:
1) Food and Drinks: ALL Food and drinks (including water) will not be allowed in the pit areas for any reason this year. Outside food and drink is permitted to be brought into the event center but must be stored and consumed in the stands, concourse area or outside of the event center. The upper sections 203 – 209 will be designated as team eating areas.
2) Pits: As always there are to be no parents or spectators in the pits at any time. Each team will receive 1 pass per team member and up to 3 passes for coaches/mentors, no other passes will be provided for access to the pits. There is a flight of stairs between the lower pits and the competition floor so please plan accordingly and let us know if you need assistance.
3) Judging: In years past all the judging for each team was spread out over the morning. Due to the extended walk to the judging rooms from the Event Center all judging sessions for each team will be back to back. Teams will wait in their pit areas to be escorted over to the judging areas. Please listen for announcements on the PA system. If you have someone on your team who needs mobility assistance getting to judging, please let us know ASAP so we can plan accordingly.
4) Lunch/Breakfast: Details about food option will be sent out next week.
5) Need Legos? At the state championships we will be selling this season’s field kits both used ($40 can’t guarantee condition No-Mat) and un-built ($50). We will also have pre packed assorted Legos in gallon sized bags for $10. Kit sales will take place at the welcome and registration table starting after the opening ceremonies.
If you have any logistical questions/concerns about the state competition please email our event manager Robert Oehrli with FLL State Championship in the subject line: email@example.com
The tentative schedule is as follows:
- 7am – 8am: FLL Team Members and Coaches check at the main entrance to the UMBC Event Center. No PARENTS or outside spectators are allowed in the PIT AREA.
- 8:00am – 8:40am Coach meeting on the arena floor in the competition area.
- 9:00am – 12:00pm: FLL Robotics Teams will proceed to Judging rooms. Judging takes place in closed rooms. Two adult mentors are allowed to observe the Judging from the back of the closed Judging Room, video recording and photography is permitted.
- 9:30am – 12:00pm: Junior FIRST LEGO League Expo. Up to 24 Junior FIRST LEGO League teams will exhibit their Projects. See teams of 6-9 year olds demonstrate that, yes, they can do science and technology as well as the next senior engineer.
- 1:00pm – 1:30pm: FLL Tournament Opening Ceremony.
- 1:45pm – 4:35pm: Robot Challenge Matches (three rounds per team). This is the primary publicly viewable part of the event.
- 4:50pm – 5:20pm: Closing ceremony. After a day of technical, teamwork, and research presentations then three grueling hours of table challenges all the teams are recognized for the efforts and key awards are given out